Portland People Are White & Cannot Love Themselves Because of This; They Feel Immense Pain; Their Hatred of Self-Whiteness Chafes Their Soul WHITE WHITE WHITE WHITE WHITE WHITENovember 25, 2009 by MC | Filed under Stuff.
From the Internet!
- OREGONIAN writer Betsy Hammond calls Portland “startlingly white” but assures us that:
“Portland will grow less white and more diverse — just more slowly than the rest of the country…”
- A blogger named Stumptown Girl feels immense pain due to Portland’s whiteness:
“I’m writing this from a relatively new coffee shop in NE Portland on the corner of Shaver and Mississippi, which was in the recent past the core of Portland’s black neighborhood. This area, plus the Alberta District and now St. Johns are also going through gentrification. New businesses, remodeled storefronts and homes, are sprouting up – all with mostly white money or loans to white people trying to get an edge in a growing market.”
- Portland bicyclists contemplate whether their bike scene is too white:
“The people riding and making decisions about bicycles is a white, middle class group.”
- Queer Woman of Color plays the white card in a May 2007 blog post:
“One thing I really would have to think about is about raising children of color here in Portland. It’s the whitest town in America & many a day I question why I’m here because it sucks to be so surrounded by people who don’t look like me and can barely understand anything about being a racial minority. It’s a town filled with semi-well meaning folks who think because they vote democratic they’re down with POC and that just isn’t the case.”
- In 2007, a newcomer from Boston sought non-white, vegetable-friendly, somewhat queer roommates:
“I’m vegetarian, and it’s convenient to live with other vegetarians, but I don’t actually know how important it is to me. I’d like this bunch of people to have a reasonable gender balance and reasonable queer/straight balance. I feel like racial diversity is the elephant in the room with respect to that last sentence, but, well, from what I’ve seen Portland is way too white of a city to make that desire reasonable.”
- A San Francisco visitor is horrified by confederate flags and Bush/Cheney signs in Northeast Portland neigborhood:
“I am used [to]living in and enjoying the racial diversity of the Bay Area, California. My husband and I are an inter-racial couple, who, before this weekend were looking to move to Portland, OR. When I got there, I was overwhelmed by the wonderful parallel of the West side to my beautiful San Francisco. Trees lines the streets and it was like nowhere else I had been. The urban life hugged trees and clean air-brilliant. However, it was not until the real estate agent drove us around the North East Side that I was completely heartbroken. I saw atleast four windows with confederate flags and a few Bush/Cheney signs nailed to some desperate lawns.”
- How can progressive Portlanders accept racism?
- Portland’s “White People Gone Wild” love Obama
- Obamatown, a.k.a. Portland, is 80% white
- Portland white person who voted for Obama is now disgusted with him and is switching to the Green Party…
- The Caucasian Wingnut Tree can be found on the campus of Reed College