Posts in the California category
- Daniel Kalder reviews Retroworld and discusses why he hates Star Trek
- “The Vanishing Yokel,” by Jim Goad: “As Americans get more tightly packed into sprawling megalopolises, what coastal snobs dismiss as ‘flyover country’ is rapidly devolving into one giant ghost town. What used to be known as Middle Americans are now called extremists. The heartland has become the hinterlands. One of the biggest cultural divides in American culture has always been urban v. rural, city mouse v. country mouse. It appears that the city mouse has won.”
Currently on the playlist:
This batch is mostly comprised of scenes from the wholesome and charming Tenderloin District.
- By MC
- In Stuff
- With No Comments
- Tagged with 2006 2007 2011 airstrips Alaska albino Anchorage art billboards Blue Angels California carnivals Central Oregon danger death Devil's Backbone dioramas dogs Evergreen Air & Space Museum feeding station feral cats ferris wheels Florence food french fries Government highways insurance Iron Mountain Jonsrud Point Kidd Toy Museum mannequins Mariko Locke McDonald's McMinnville mercury Michigan mining Monterey Mount Hood Native Americans pine Portland Portland Memorial San Francisco Sandy sled dogs Stark's Vacuum Cleaner Museum taxidermy tunnels underground whaling winter Wisconsin
- On 20 Jul | '2013
All pics taken by yours truly unless otherwise indicated.
Recently returned from San Francisco. Some pics, below.
- Cliff Pickover interview
- Daniel Kalder — Boris Berezovky: Game Over
- Gavin McInnes — 10 Things I Hate About LA: “Famous people are freaks. That’s why Tilda Swinton is sleeping in a Plexiglas box outside MoMA right now. The reverence these people get is even more disturbing. An actor is merely repeating lines he read an hour ago, and he’s doing it the way the director told him to a second ago. It’s not a craft. It’s karaoke without singing.”
- Malcolm Pollack: “…’social injustice’ is not only infinite, but fractal. It’s a Julia set of grievances. Zoom in all you like; new affronts will appear at every scale, world without end.“
- San Jose Mercury News: “The state of California has filed a civil case against everyone — literally, the whole world — seeking to validate $8.6 billion in voter-approved bonds for its $69 billion high-speed rail project.”
- Scott Locklin — Nerds Behaving Badly: “We laugh at a country that puts feminists in jail for desecrating a Church; maybe the Russians have the right idea.”
Guest-blogger month is in full bloom here.
New stuff is coming from some other talented individuals as well.