- Daniel Kalder: A Visit to Orhan Pamuk’s Museum of Innocence
Posts in the David Lynch category
- By MC
- In Stuff
- With No Comments
- Tagged with Angora rabbit animals archetypes Bavaria biofuels birth cinema coming of age creepy David Lynch Donnie Darko Flickr Freud Gitmo holes images Inland Empire jackalopes Jon Ronson Michigan movies Of Mice and Men Pet photos Rabbit Rabbit Hole scary Sexy Beast strange Sweden tropes TV TV Tropes weird
- On 8 Oct | '2012
Recently I watched Sexy Beast for the zillionth time and got to thinking:
Creepy Rabbit People are effective tropes.
I won’t speculate as to what the Creepy Rabbit Man in Sexy Beast (seen above) represents, although I have my suspicions.
Donnie Darko brought Creepy Rabbit People into focus for a lot of people, and although I was largely indifferent to that film, I appreciated its contribution to the anthropomorphic rabbit trope.
This blog post celebrates some creepy rabbits of cinema.
Of equal interest is the Down the Rabbit Hole meme in movies and TV. Writes TV Tropes:
The symbolism involved is typically suggestive of the birth canal (i.e. the “womb of the earth” metaphor). Several of the genre’s defining works then continue to put their protagonists back underground on the fantasy side. The presence of so many long, narrow tunnels in what are usually coming of age stories may therefore leave you wondering if Freud Was Right.
Sexy Beast‘s effective end sequence features a nightmarish descent down a rabbit hole.
Rabbit-hole themes persist even in non-fiction. In the book The Men Who Stare at Goats, former Gitmo prisoner Jamal Al-Harith describes the strange horrors of indefinite detention, telling author Jon Ronson, “You don’t know how deep the rabbit hole goes, do you? But you know it is deep. You know it is deep.”
If you’re not familiar with the 90 Days/90 Reasons Web site that shills daily for the re-election of omni-benevolent halo wearer Barack Obama, please check out Ricky Sprague’s post here for some background info.
The latest celebrity to chime in with a pro-Barack post at 90 Days is David Lynch, a film director whom I admire and love.
By all means, read Lynch’s reasons for re-electing Barack Obama.
Then feel free to stab your lungs and face with an antler lamp.
I am going to vote for re-electing President Obama. I have noticed something in Mitt Romney’s name, which I think speaks to what he is about. If you just rearrange a few letters, Romney becomes R MONEY. I believe Mitt Romney wants to get his Mitts on R Money. He would like to get it and divide it up with his friends, the Big Money Bunch.
I believe he would like to get his Mitts on R Money, R Resources, R Freedoms, and R American Dream. I do not trust Mitt Romney to look after the best interests of 99% of Americans. I think electing Mitt Romney would be a catastrophe for our country—one which would be real difficult to straighten out later. Please do not let Mitt Romney get his Mitts on R Money or R United States of America.
I can’t even muster the energy to sigh at this point. As my friend Jacob Grier pointed out on Facebook today, politics ruin EVERYTHING.
- 1975, J.P. Donleavy: “Isolation is a necessity, also an acute loneliness and a sense of slight rejection.”
- A crazy world of crotchet
- Build a robotic xylophone
- David Lynch discusses music projects
- “God and Germs Are Everywhere“
- Eight great Antarctic explorers
- Factory farms infographic
- “Fuck Yeah Marxism-Leninism“…?…?
- Helen Thomas still hates the Jews
- Houdini Fly inflates head and breaks walls
- Marvel Comics’ long history of embarrassing itself on stage in New York
- Mercury poisoning makes boy birds gay
- Mutilated corpse falls from the heavens
- Portland coyotes are everywhere
- Prisoner fashion timeline
- Richard Dawkins: “Christopher Hitchens, my hero of 2010.”
- “Processions, Night and Fire“
- Snake fang evolution
- Simply Red vocalist issues apology to the all ho’s he banged
- Submit your finest lesbian romance stories here
- Superman vs. Muhammad Ali
- The 50 states, depicted as food
- The eternal question: Why did kamikazes wear helmets?
- The Insanity Virus
- The site Real-Life Superheroes supplies a handy list of Taser and stun gun laws
- When women are most fertile, they avoid contact with their dads
- A life with Liberace
- Architecture-themed hip-hop
- He hate music
- Merzbow, live in New York City
- New “Audio Files” at the Coliseum with Dave Allen (Gang of Four, Shriekback) and Justin Pearson
- Russia + meme + theremin = you-make-the-call
- Sade announces 2011 summer tour dates
- Sonic weaponry
- Ayaan Hirsi Ali in the Los Angeles Times…calling for…federal legislation…?
- Cindi Sheehan — TRUTHER!
- Inane slogans burden Frank’s soul and mine too
- Kalder hits all the right notes again: Juarez — City of Fear
- Muslim super-hero to wheel himself into your heart
- The truth about Lady GaGa
- What is a wind ghetto anyway?
- Is God a nonlocal quantum mind or some shit?
- Frank Wilson on the Placebo Effect of prayer
- The Minister’s Tree House — Crossville, Tennessee
GURGITATION = EMANCIPATION
- Moistening the Detroit food desert
LOOKING AT THE WORLD WITH LOVE
And now, for something really special — the custom-designed Iced Borscht, Deep-Fried Dystopian End Times SEARCH ENGINE.
Give it a try — type your name. Look for sexy images. Play around with it.