“Nordine began performing and recording such albums at the peak of the beat era and was associated with the poetry-and-jazz movement. However, some of Nordine’s “writings are more akin to Franz Kafka or Edgar Allan Poe” than to the beats. Many of his word jazz tracks feature critiques of societal norms. Some are lightweight and humorous, while others reveal dark, paranoid undercurrents and bizarre, dream-like scenarios. Nordine’s DVD, The Eye Is Never Filled, (2005) provides a flow of abstract visuals to accompany the audio tracks.“
Posts in the Edgar Allan Poe category
- Anthropologie would like to sell you a $9,000 tent.
- Clyde Stubblefield says this, and says it succinctly.
- Dean Kuipers: “A coalition of well-known journalists, activists and civil libertarians have sued President Obama, Atty. Gen. Eric H. Holder Jr., Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta and other members of the U.S. government to push them to remove or rewrite this year’s defense appropriations bill, saying it chills speech by threatening constitutionally protected activities such as news reporting, protest and political organizing in defense of controversial causes such as the Wikileaks case.”
- “Deep divers are always after a unique experience. But how about one that is an engineering marvel, a recreational hotspot for both newbies and pros, and a great place to meet for lunch, all rolled into one? That could only be Nemo 33, the deepest indoor diving pool in the world.”
- James Joyner, writing in the New Republic: “The wider the drone war spreads, however, the more scrutiny it deserves. After all, strikes aimed at truly high-value targets like Osama bin Laden and other major terrorist leaders make obvious tactical and strategic sense. But willy-nilly targeting of low-level militants is quite likely doing more harm than good.”
- Robot bird can perch on a human hand.
- Sara Reardon — The Medical Prescience of Edgar Allan Poe.
- Steve Buckstein — Portland, the City That Works (Over Consumers).
- The Rand Corporation says the War on Terror is not over: “A thorough review of the authority ceded to the Executive Branch, along with other security measures imposed since 9/11 is in order. Temporary emergency measures ought not to become permanent features of the political landscape. And fiscal constraints demand that national defense and homeland security budgets be reviewed. It should be possible to reallocate national resources to other more productive investments.”
- Intelligence is genetic? (english.pravda.ru)
- On the Return of “Mein Kampf” to Germany (bigthink.com)
- Why the Portland aerial tram is a failure (bojack.org)