Some fine photos culled from Flickr users.
Posts in the Flickr category
- Conor Friedersdorf: “[Progressives’] ideology leaves them strangely unequipped to grapple with power abuses by a man whose personality they like and whose political philosophy they largely embrace.“
- Old footage of Pope John Paul II in a batting cage
- Tessa Kuragi nudes
- By MC
- In Stuff
- With No Comments
- Tagged with Angora rabbit animals archetypes Bavaria biofuels birth cinema coming of age creepy David Lynch Donnie Darko Flickr Freud Gitmo holes images Inland Empire jackalopes Jon Ronson Michigan movies Of Mice and Men Pet photos Rabbit Rabbit Hole scary Sexy Beast strange Sweden tropes TV TV Tropes weird
- On 8 Oct | '2012
Recently I watched Sexy Beast for the zillionth time and got to thinking:
Creepy Rabbit People are effective tropes.
I won’t speculate as to what the Creepy Rabbit Man in Sexy Beast (seen above) represents, although I have my suspicions.
Donnie Darko brought Creepy Rabbit People into focus for a lot of people, and although I was largely indifferent to that film, I appreciated its contribution to the anthropomorphic rabbit trope.
This blog post celebrates some creepy rabbits of cinema.
Of equal interest is the Down the Rabbit Hole meme in movies and TV. Writes TV Tropes:
The symbolism involved is typically suggestive of the birth canal (i.e. the “womb of the earth” metaphor). Several of the genre’s defining works then continue to put their protagonists back underground on the fantasy side. The presence of so many long, narrow tunnels in what are usually coming of age stories may therefore leave you wondering if Freud Was Right.
Sexy Beast‘s effective end sequence features a nightmarish descent down a rabbit hole.
Rabbit-hole themes persist even in non-fiction. In the book The Men Who Stare at Goats, former Gitmo prisoner Jamal Al-Harith describes the strange horrors of indefinite detention, telling author Jon Ronson, “You don’t know how deep the rabbit hole goes, do you? But you know it is deep. You know it is deep.”
Culled from Flickr. Click on the pics to follow through to a photographer’s page.
- A Good Sit
- Badlands, Flatlands and Hinterlands
- Big Nautica
- Big Wellness
- Cold Lonely Places
- Forever’s Back Office
- Grinning Jackals’ Teeth
- In the Shadow of the Great Lakes
- Love Letters to the Canadian Shield
- Máquinas de la Muerte
- Pitch-Perfect Luminosity
- Val Halla, Inc.
- The Wind Cries Suburbia
- Women in Peril